Sunday, February 19, 2017

Waltham, MA- Leo's Diner-Stay or Go?


12:30. We left church exactly an hour ago.
I've nearly finished my magazine.  
This is my 3rd coffee.
If I have to start the fiction piece before the food, I'll scream.
The people in front, and behind us got their food.
The ones to the side don't have their dishes.
All 3 arrived after we did.

Did you put in my order?
It should be right there.
It's not her fault if the cook is disorganized.
I'm grumpy now. It's everyone's fault.

Should we leave? 
They wouldn't blame us. After 3 coffees. Do we even pay?
We wouldn't ever be able to come back.
This place is funky. 
I haven't worked my way thru the menu yet.

Should we leave?
Like waiting for a bus. The more time we wait, the closer we are to the bus arriving.
Sunk costs actually mean nothing. 
I'm hungry. Doesn't that mean something? 

Should we leave?
If I had given up on you, we wouldn't be here.
You have the patience of an angel.
Except when I don't.
If you had given up on me, my wife would've had my breakfast ready at 8am.
We were making love at 8am. Did you want to switch places?
No. I'm grumpy. Sorry.

Y'know, I'm glad that you have this for your weekly grump session. Much better than you getting annoyed at me.
I do not get annoyed at you.

She gives him an annoyed look.

These potatoes are raw.
Oh, I'm busy next weekend.
This toast is white, not rye. What are you doing? 
They always get our orders wrong here. It's a good thing the boy is so good about the coffee.
What are you doing?
Oh nothing, just a thing. So we can't meet up, sorry.
I shouldn't eat so many carbs anyway.
I told you, the best way to ease into a diet is to eat versions you hate. Warm soda, white bread. Leaving stuff on the table is easier that way.
You're right.

You still wanna go to the library after this?
No, I think I'll head home.
Look, if it was because I was grumpy, I'm sorry. 
Both of us were grumpy. And hungry.
What's wrong?
Nothing-it's just, life is a series of disappointments. And I'm hoping that hanging out with you will make it a little less awful.
Is it so awful to be out with me?
No, not at all. I love you, but you're not trying.
Sorry, I forget.
I do my part to be cheerful. Decent. Respectful.
Yeah, I'll try harder.
I don't think this is a habit you can just start. 
It's a habit I want.

She looks into his eyes.

They pay the bill.

So, I um, guess I'll see you at work tomorrow?
I'm heading over to the library after all. You can walk with me if you want.
And next weekend?
We'll see. Don't take it for granted that I'll stay. I could've left that restaurant at any moment.
We could have.
Yes. Or I could have. I can.



No comments:

Post a Comment